House of Stuart
Local Time Line
The historical time line of the local region.
- 1670 – Founding of Rupert’s Land; Prince Charles II grants Hudson’s Bay Company the territory of Rupert’s Land.
- 1717 James Knight starts the Churchill River post; Town is established for the Hudson Bay Company on the west bank of the Churchill River.
- 1731 construction of the large stone fort begun; established on Eskimo Point and still being built. 42 gun emplacements have been built and a battery in place on the other side of the river at Cape Merry in order to bombard any attackers from both sides.
- 1747 – Anne Maria moves to Churchill; arrives in Churchill with the Kindred on the merchant cog “Merry Wave” buys the old Mansion house.
- 1748 – Swampy Cree Indians attack Churchill; burning down buildings but causing very few casualties. Several young towns folk are snatched in the raid and have not been returned.
- Jan 5th 1753 – Mansion stable catches fire; An unknown source causes the stable to catch fire. 2 People die in the fire removing “boxes”